- Director, Stem Cell Research & Assistant Professor
- Department of Cell Biology & Molecular Medicine
- Rutgers University
- City, State
- Newark, NJ
- United States
- [email protected]
- Research field
- Stem Cell Biology
- Award year
- Country of origin
- Mentor name
- Claudio Basilico, M.D.
The focus of my lab is to design paradigms for embryonic stem (ES) and induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cell based repair of cardiac and skeletal muscle defects using mouse models of human disease (thin myocardial syndrome, cardiomyopathy, muscular dystrophy). To this end, we reprogram WT and mutant iPS cells. These cells are coaxed into becoming cardiac myocytes, or simply injected into mutant blastocysts to study disease correction in the resultant mosaic mice. The ultimate goal is to identify cardiotrophic and myotrophic factors with rescue potential.
1995 Search Pew Fellows
- Victor Manuel Baizabal Aguirre, D.Sc.
- Rosa Laura Camarena Mejia, Ph.D.
- Sandro Jose de Souza, Ph.D.
- María Beatriz Espinosa, Ph.D.
- Patricia Alejandra Fontan, Ph.D.
- Diego Fraidenraich, Ph.D.
- Roberto A. Gaxiola Ariza, Ph.D.
- Katia Calp Gondim, Ph.D.
- Luiz Ricardo Orsini Tosi, Ph.D.
- Christine M. Pedroarena, M.D.
- Diego Enrique Rincon-Limas, Ph.D.