Details: Media briefing: Launch of new scientific report
Where: Foreign Press Association, 11 Carlton House Terrace, London, SW1Y 5AJ, Tel +44 20 7930 0445
When: May 17th 2007, 10.30 BST
Sophie Hulme: [email protected], mob: ++ 7973 712 869
Mona Samari: [email protected], mob: ++ 7805 729 428
The number of sharks estimated to be caught globally to produce the fins observed in international trade (up to 73 million sharks per annum) is three or four times higher than the official totals reported to the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO).
A new report “Strengthening European Fisheries Management: Options For Enforcing The Shark Finning Ban”, will be launched on May 17th at 10.30 BST from the Foreign Press Association.
It contains the conclusions from a European shark expert workshop on issues related to shark finning and fin trade. At the Media Briefing, experts involved in the development of the report will outline their conclusions including:
- The current approach and the most effective approach to enforcing the finning ban (the fin:carcass weight ratio).
- The most effective approach to enforcing a finning ban.
Speaking at the Briefing will be:
- Sarah Fowler – Author of the report
- Sonja Fordham – Policy Director for the Shark Alliance
- Ali Hood (Chair) – Director of Conservation at the SharkTrust
Final EEA Report:
Member State factsheet: