In line with The Stewart Trust’s mission to invest in innovative, cutting-edge cancer research that may accelerate and advance progress toward a cure for cancer, applications are invited from nominees conducting cancer research at NCI-designated cancer centers, or cancer-focused institutions. The Pew-Stewart Scholars Program for Cancer Research is distinct from the Pew Scholars Program, and it follows a different, but parallel set of guidelines and procedures for nominating an applicant whose research is related to cancer.
In early April 2020, a letter of invitation and application instructions will be sent to the leaders of the cancer research institutions selected to submit a nominee for the 2021 class. Centers are expected to complete a limited submission competition in order to identify and select one nominee. For guidance on this process, please contact [email protected].
- Center administration should distribute this invitation and award eligibility details to all investigators via an email announcement or website posting.
- Interested applicants should submit pre-proposal material to an internal selection committee for consideration.
- To nominate a candidate, a member of the internal selection committee must complete an online survey from the Pew program office describing the selection process used by the institution and submit the name and contact information of the chosen applicant by May 18, 2020.
- Nominations of applicants to the program will not be considered after May 18, 2020.
- The Pew program office will email grant application portal login information and a detailed application guide directly to all nominated applicants by June 15, 2020. The online application website will open on June 15, 2020.
- For research administrators assisting an applicant, please send an email with your grant applicant cc’ed to [email protected] after June 15, 2020, to receive access to the portal. No requests will be accepted prior to this date.
- The submission deadline is Sept. 3, 2020.
- Every application will be reviewed by the program's National Advisory Committee. The committee will make recommendations to the board of directors of The Pew Charitable Trusts in April 2021. Candidates will be notified in April if they have been recommended to the Stewart and Pew boards.
- A public announcement of the award will be made in June. Grant agreements will be issued to the grant hosting institution of each scholar in August of the award year.
Written or verbal critiques of unsuccessful applications are not provided.