In early May 2018, a letter of invitation and application instructions will be sent to the leaders and offices of sponsored research of the institutions invited to nominate a candidate for the 2019 class. Institutions are expected to complete a comprehensive internal selection process in order to identify and select one nominee.
- The office of sponsored research should distribute this invitation and award eligibility details to all investigators through a campus-wide email announcement or website posting.
- Interested applicants should submit pre-proposal material to an internal selection committee for consideration.
- To nominate a candidate, a member of the internal selection committee must complete an online survey describing the selection process used by the institution and submitting the name and contact information of the chosen applicant by June 29, 2018. Nominations of applicants to the program will not be considered after June 29, 2018.
- Once the Pew program office has received the completed survey and the name and contact information of the selected applicant, login information will be emailed directly to the selected applicant. The online application website will open July 16, 2018, and the submission deadline is Oct. 15, 2018. Nominees will gain access to the secure application portal, which includes detailed instructions and an applicant guide, on July 16, 2018.
- Every application will be reviewed by the program's National Advisory Committee. The committee will make recommendation to the board of directors of The Pew Charitable Trusts in April. Candidates will be notified by early April if they have been recommended to the Pew board. A public announcement of the award will be made in June. Grant agreements will be issued to the institutions of each year’s Pew scholars in August of the award year.
Written or verbal critiques of unsuccessful applications are not provided.