Pew’s work to restore America’s parks raised awareness about the $11.9 billion repair backlog facing the National Park Service (NPS) and implement long-term solutions to address the challenge.
The initiative collaborated with national partner groups, as well as state and local organizations, to effect change with Congress, the administration, and the NPS. Pew believes policymakers should:
- Ensure that infrastructure initiatives include provisions to address park maintenance.
- Provide dedicated annual federal funding for national park repairs.
- Enact innovative policy reforms to ensure that deferred maintenance does not escalate.
- Provide more highway funding for NPS maintenance needs.
- Create more opportunities for public-private collaboration and donations to help restore park infrastructure.
Why We Need to Fix Our Parks, 2020
National Park Service sites have almost $13.1 billion in deferred maintenance
National Park Deferred Maintenance Needs, FY19
Updated with fiscal year 2019 data