Nancy Donley is a Chicago resident and spokesperson for STOP Foodborne Illness, a national non-profit dedicated to the prevention of illness and death from foodborne pathogens.
In 1993, Donley's 6-year-old son Alex became ill after eating hamburger contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. He developed Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS) and died four days later. The illness and devastation to his body were so severe that his parents were not even able to have his organs donated.
Nancy has dedicated her life to making sure others do not have to experience what her son and family had to endure by working voluntarily on STOP's behalf to promote food policies that are preventive in nature and that will reduce the numbers of foodborne illnesses and deaths.