How to Apply
The 2022 grant application process will open on June 7, 2021. In order to request application portal access, please email [email protected]. Preparation of an application first requires securing a sponsoring lab in the United States; please see below for guidance. The application deadline is Aug. 25, 2021. Click here to learn more about the program and how to apply.
Locating a sponsor lab
Potential candidates for the Pew Latin American Fellows Program must locate a sponsor lab in the United States prior to beginning their application. We strongly advise beginning this process early (if not already in a lab), as finding a sponsor may require a significant time commitment and take several months. Although Pew does not provide a set list of sponsors, the following resources are available:
- Directories of current and former Pew scholars and Pew-Stewart scholars
- Sponsors of previous awardees, which can be found in the Latin American fellows directory. Please note that you do not need to be sponsored by a Pew scholar in order to apply.
What to look for in a sponsor
- The lab should have a level of funding sufficient to supplement the Pew stipend up to the NIH postdoctoral stipend requirement, plus medical benefits. Stipend limits for 2021 are here: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-21-049.html. The sponsor must have a strong track record of training postdocs.
- Preference is typically given to sponsoring labs led by senior level faculty, though exceptions are made for junior faculty with a very strong track record and funding.
- The sponsor should develop a comprehensive training plan for the fellow.
- The chosen sponsor lab should be one in which the fellow will learn new skills that are not a direct replication of his or her doctoral thesis work.
Potential applicants may also request assistance from the program office or the regional committees prior to June 7, 2021. The program office will assist with the identification of possible laboratories with matching research interests. For assistance, please email the program office at [email protected]. This assistance guarantees neither a position in that laboratory nor a Pew fellowship.
Grant portal access
Potential candidates must send an email to the program office at [email protected] to request login information for the application portal, which will open on June 7, 2021. The secure online application contains detailed instructions and an application guide. Applications must be submitted electronically by 12 p.m. (noon) ET on Aug. 25, 2021. Advice and assistance is also available from the regional committee members; download their names and contact information in English, Spanish, or Portuguese.