01/02/2013 - ''This Friday, Jan. 4, marks two years since President Obama signed landmark food safety legislation. But Americans continue to get sick, rushed to the hospital, and sometimes die from preventable foodborne illnesses while the White House allows implementation of food safety rules to be delayed.
I can attest to the need for these rules. After eating E. coli-contaminated spinach in 2006, my then 9-year-old daughter, Rylee, spent a month in a pediatric intensive care unit and two more months at home, away from school and her treasured dance lessons. She needed speech therapy to regain the use of her voice after being intubated. The damage to Rylee's kidneys, however, is irreversible. And if all that were not enough for one young girl to endure, earlier this year, doctors diagnosed Rylee with Type 1 diabetes that may have been caused, in part, by her foodborne illness.
After Rylee recovered, my family - outraged that the U.S. government fails to protect its citizens from foodborne illnesses - became tireless advocates for food safety. We took time off from work and school to speak publicly about the need for stronger safeguards and visited Sen. Harry Reid many times in DC, as well as with members of his Nevada staff to urge action on a bill to improve the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) oversight of our nation's food supply. The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) - the first update to the food safety system since the Great Depression - passed in 2011. Senator Harry Reid's leadership was critical to our success.
FSMA signals a much needed shift in FDA's approach to food safety. The focus is now on prevention - not reaction. There are provisions in the law designed to prevent outbreaks like the one that threatened Rylee's life. But food contamination continues to harm countless Americans because draft regulations have still not been implemented. While people like my daughter suffer, the rules have been awaiting approval for more than a year.''
Read the full article, We can't wait for stronger food safety, on the Las Vegas Review-Journal's website.