10/24/2001 - The Pew Initiative on Food and Biotechnology hosted a policy dialogue to engage U.S. and European leaders on the trade issues surrounding genetically modified food in light of the recent EU proposal to label all biotech products and have information about their origins. The dialogue also examined the economic ramifications and the cultural context of the disagreement.
- David Gergen, counsel to four presidents and author, Eyewitness to Power: The Essence of Leadership from Nixon to Clinton, will moderate
- David Hegwood, Trade Advisor to the Secretary, U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Julia A. Moore, a public policy scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, who has written and spoken extensively about consumer attitudes in the US and in Europe toward biotechnology
- Tony Van der haegen, Minister/Counselor for Agriculture, Fisheries and Consumer Affairs, the European Commission Delegation
- Fred Yoder, president-elect of the National Corn Growers Association, who will discuss how the EU proposal would affect American farmers.