The Library in the City: The Future of the Free Library of Philadelphia
March 14, 2012
Free Library of Philadelphia
1901 Vine Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19103
In conjunction with the release of a new report, Pew’s Philadelphia Research Initiative is hosting a panel discussion on the role of the Free Library of Philadelphia and other big-city libraries in the 21st century.
In the face of increasing and changing demands brought on by the recession and the Internet, public libraries across the country are facing the same questions about their future: where should they focus energy and funds? How will they handle their evolving role as a key provider of social services and government resources? Will this changing role alter the way local officials, who provide a majority of library funding, view the library? The event will explore these and other issues discussed in the report.
Mayor Michael A. Nutter will give remarks, and WHYY’s Dave Davies will moderate a panel discussion. Distinguished panelists include:
- The Honorable James R. Roebuck, Jr., member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- Michael DiBerardinis, deputy mayor for Environmental and Community Resources and special advisor to the mayor on the Free Library of Philadelphia
- Irv Ackelsberg, president of the Friends of the Free Library of Philadelphia
- Siobhan Reardon, president and director of the Free Library of Philadelphia
- Thomas Galante, president and CEO of the Queens Library
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Follow the discussion live on Twitter using #PewPanel
Register and view more details about this event.