2009 National Conference of State Legislatures Summit
July 20, 2009
- July 24, 2009
Pennsylvania Convention Center
1101 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Pew is no longer active in this line of work, but for more information visit the Safe Banking Opportunities Project on PewHealth.org.
Representatives from the Pew Health Group and the Pew Center on the States will be taking part in the 2009 National Conference of State Legislatures Summit.
On July 22, Safe Banking Opportunities Project Director Matt Fellowes will speak at the National Conference of State Legislatures Summit in Philadelphia. In a session titled “Unbanked and Financially Underserved,” Fellowes will discuss the Bank On program.
Read more about Safe Banking Opportunities Project on Pew's Web site.
The Pew Center on the States develops rigorous research and strategic campaigns to help states identify and advance fiscally-sound policies, provide a return on investment to taxpayers and help our nation tackle its toughest policy questions. We work closely with organizations such as the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) that serve the nation's 50 states through research, technical assistance and opportunities for policymakers to exchange ideas on the most pressing state issues. At the National Conference of State Legislatures Legislative Summit, July 20-24, the Pew Center on the States will participate in the following events.
- Kil Huh, Project Director, Research, Pew Center on the States, and Phyllis Cuttino, Director, U.S. Global Warming Campaign, Pew Environment Group, will present an overview of the clean energy economy on July 20 at the 2009 Clean Jobs Symposium, a pre-conference seminar of the National Conference of State Legislators’ Summit. The Pew Charitable Trusts recently released a report on the clean energy economy that includes the first-ever hard count across all 50 states of environmentally friendly jobs, businesses and investments.
- David Becker, Election Initiatives Project Director, will speak to the NCSL Elections Committee on July 21 about ways to modernize the voter registration system.
- On July 22, Pew Center on the States will take part in a forum on corrections—identified by NCSL as one of the top issues facing states this year. Adam Gelb, Public Safety and Performance Project Director, will present at the session, “Cost Cutting Strategies in Corrections,” held from 1:30-3pm.
- On Thursday, July 23 members of the National Legislative Program Evaluation Society staff section of NCSL will take part in an invitational dinner discussion with representatives from Pew’s Government Performance Project, Stateline.org, and other Pew Center on the States’ projects.
- During the Summit, Kathy Patterson, Senior Officer, Government Relations, Pew Center on the States, will moderate a panel on Pre-K and military families that will feature Major General Wesley Craig (Army Ret.) and Texas State Representative Diane Patrick as panelists.
For more information, please visit the Summit's event Web page.