Formula for Success: Adding High-Quality Pre-K to State School Funding Formulas
Families, teachers and policy makers increasingly understand that high-quality pre-kindergarten is a critical part of children's educational experience. In 13 states and the District of Columbia, this recognition is reflected in the choice to finance pre-k programs through the school funding formula. A new report from Pre-K Now, Formula for Success, co-written with the Education Law Center, discusses the benefits and challenges of integrating early education into states' general education funding structures to support pre-k and explores the different models for employing such a strategy. The report also addresses:
- Overview of school funding formulas
- Benefits of funding pre-k through the school funding formula
- How states fund pre-k through the school funding formula
- Challenges of funding pre-k through the school funding formula
- Ten key policies that should inform state and district efforts to include early learning in their formulas.