State Fact Sheet
Election Websites: Delaware
Researchers assessed state election websites for the Pew Center on the States between May-November 2010 using detailed criteria evaluating the content, lookup tools, and usability. Websites may have changed since they were assessed. See methodology (PDF).
- Lookup tools that allow voters to view their polling place location, sample ballots, and status of absentee and provisional ballots.
- Content written below the eighth-grade level, making important information understandable to low-literacy users.
- Exemplary search function, offering easy access to a simple-to-use, empty search field on every page.
- Logical organization of information by audience, and navigation that helps voters find content and tools intended for them.
Recommended improvements include:
- Reduce the number of home page links, ensuring they are clear and not redundant, instead of providing 128 links, which can overwhelm users.
- Offer a lookup tool that allows voters to view their registration status (41 states offer).
- Allow access to the polling place lookup tool by street address, instead of personal voter record information (27 states offer).
- Provide more comprehensive voter registration information, including state residency requirements (44 states offer) and where to return a completed registration form (48 offer).
- Explain circumstances that could require military and overseas voters to re-register (22 states offer) or renew their requests for absentee ballots (31 offer).
- Explain what voters should do if they do not receive a requested ballot (35 states offer) and provide information on how to obtain and complete the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (30 offer).
- Explain how to obtain a replacement for a lost or damaged absentee ballot (18 states offer).
Noteworthy Feature: None included for Delaware.
Initial Quick Fix: Explain the residency requirements for voter eligibility (44 states offer).
Summary: Delaware's election information website is above average in usability, but its content offerings are below average, resulting in a lower overall score. It provides four out of five recommended lookup tools.
http://elections.delaware.gov was assessed for content, lookup tools, and usability.