How Unique Device Identifiers Can Improve Patient Care
On November 19, 2013, the House Medical Technology Caucus and The Pew Charitable Trusts held a briefing on how the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA's) new unique device identifier (UDI) system can improve patient care. Speakers discussed the implementation of FDA's new rule, as well as incorporation of UDI into healthcare delivery, particularly patients' medical records, supply chain logistics and insurance claims.
Speakers that participated in the briefing included:
- Jeff Shuren, Director, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, FDA
- Jay Crowley, Senior Advisor for Patient Safety, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, FDA
- Josh Rising, Director, Medical Devices, The Pew Charitable Trusts
- Jeff Secunda, Vice President, Technology and Regulatory Affairs, Advanced Medical Technology Association
- Joe Drozda, Chair, Research and Development Team, Healthcare Transformation Group
For more information on the unique device identification system, please visit pewhealth.org.
Project: Medical Device Initiative