Roadless Rule Comments from the Public: Over 4.2 Million!
By the end of the 2004 comment period, the Forest Service had received over 4.2 million comments on the Roadless Rule — almost exclusively in support of the Rule.
- Bush Administration Proposal to Repeal 2001 Roadless Rule
July 16-November 15, 2004
1,765,249 comments, nearly all in support of the Rule.
- Tongass and Chugach Exemption Comment Periods
Ending September 2, 2003
250,000 comments in support of the Roadless Rule
- Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPR)
July 10-September 11, 2001
726,440 total comments submitted
95% of comments in support of the Roadless Rule
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS)
May 9-July 17, 2000
1,176,016 total comments submitted
98.6% of comments in support of the Roadless Rule
Note: nearly 20% of comments were submitted during public hearings, which did not happen during the 2004 comment period, since the Bush administration has failed to hold a single hearing.
- Roadless Area Conservation Rule Scoping
October 19, 1999-December 20, 1999
365,000 + 1,176,016 + 726,440 + 250,000 + 1,765,249 = 4,282,705
97.9% in support of roadless