The Pure Salmon Campaign called on the salmon aquaculture industry to adopt farming methods that in the short and long-term:
- Eliminate the environmental consequences associated with disease transfer and salmon escapes.
- Eliminate the environmental and public health consequences associated with the use of antibiotics, biocides and harmful chemicals in salmon farming.
- Eliminate the environmental consequences associated with salmon farm waste being discharged directly into the environment.
- Ensure that farmed salmon feed does not deplete wild fish stocks or result in a net loss of marine protein;
- Ensure that salmon farming practices in aggregate do not harm the environment or wildlife.
- Prohibit the use of genetically engineered fish and the use of genetically modified organisms in feed.