We call on MEPs to support the Commission’s proposal:
- to restore and maintain populations of harvested species above levels which can produce the Maximum Sustainable Yield (MSY) by2015 (Article 2(1));
- to implement the precautionary and ecosystem‐based approach to fisheries management (Article 2(2) and 2(3));
Amend the proposal to ensure that:
- environmental sustainability is understood as a prerequisite for healthy and economically viable fisheries
- fishing limits do not exceed the scientifically recommended catch levels; and
- measures under the CFP contribute to the objectives of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive and in particular to the achievement or maintenance of Good Environmental Status.